Our network: News | Tourism | The 92 Municipalities | Latest News | Guides | Hotels | Restaurants | Shopping | Home | Wedding | Wellness | Religious Tourism | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Google+ | iPhone | Android
Friday 15 December 2017
Italiano English
PERUGIA

Santa Maria di Cenerente and the Monferrato Marauders


The parish of Santa Maria di Cenerente appears in documents as early as 1364, the year in which the war raging between Florence and Pisa extended to this area in the form of devastation inflicted at the hands of the soldiers of the Marchese Giovanni di Monferrato. In 1559 the parish appears listed as part of the parish of Santa Firmina. By 1577, however, Santa Maria Maddalena di Cenerate had once more risen to a position of central importance in the area.in that it was the church where all the children born in Canneto, Capocavallo and Rabatta came to be baptised.

The existing church designed by Domenico Mollajoli in the 19th century a fine example of neo-Classical architecture. It was consecrated on November 12th 1850 but both the interior and exterior were extensively restored in 1950. The choir behind the altar was removed, opening up an archway with a large window for added light. Following the damages suffered by the building in the 1997 earthquake, further restoration works have been carried out recently. The most important festivities celebrated here have been on the Holy Crucifix Jubilee years in 1921, 1950 and 1975.

After visiting the chuch, those in need of sustenance should stop at the Poggio del Sole restaurant for a traditional Italian or local cuisine meal. Strada Forcella 49/a Cenerente (Pg) tel. 075.690752. Closed Mondays.

© Copyright 2001-2017 by UmbriaOnline.com

Top



PERUGIA News