The Architectural Gem of Annifo
On April 13th 1174, Pope Alexander III handed over the church tithes of Annifo, or Andifo as it was then known, to Ottone Atti, the abbot of the Landolina monastery. In 1343 Ugolino and Corrado Trinci ordered the construction of the castle of Annifo.
Today the village presents itself as an agglomeration of four different villages. Annifo itself however stands apart from the other villages in that it was part of the Nocera Umbra diocese until 1937, when it passed under the control of the diocese of Foligno. This separation was previously maintained on account of the presence of two sanctuaries in the same territory. The first sanctuary was erected for therapeutic needs, while the other was dedicated to the cult of the dead. They are called respectively San Pietro and Madonna del Piano.
San Pietro di Annifo
The first mention of a church dedicated to St Peter appears in the statutes of the people of Foligno in 1350, which speak of the castle of San Pietro di Annifo with an interior church dedicated to the saint. The church itself is now in private hands. The sanctuary stands in between some houses and is a small jewel, measuring roughly 7 metres by 4. A very fine fresco depicting St Anne pregnant with Mary is beneath the altar and dates back to the late 15th or early 16th century. Mary is in turn depicted pregnant with Jesus, who is shown holding the world in his hands.
A pilgimage to this sanctuary is made annually on June 29th, the feast day of St Peter and St Paul.
Madonna del Piano di Annifo>
Dedicated to the cult of the dead, this sanctuary is also the chapel of the semetary of Annifo. It was built in the 15th century, while the frescoes inside date back to the 18th century. It is thought that these frescoes conceal earlier works beneath.
There is an annual pilgrimage to this sanctuary on September 8th, for the blessing of personal objects or objects of worship that are brought here and placed in contact with the image of the Virgin.
© Copyright 2001-2018