The history of Bevagna
It was linked to Rome as well by water through the torrent Teverone, the river Chiascio and finally the Tiber. It lost its importance after the construction of the eastern branch of the Via Flaminia (Terni-Spoleto-Foligno) (3rd century) and became a border town of the Longobard Duchy of Spoleto and later partr of the Pontifical State.
Burned down by Frederisck Barbarossa in 1154, in 1187 it became a free commune governed by consuls. Restored thanks to the activity of the Dominican Blessed Giacomo Bianconi, a disciple of Albertus Magnus, since 1371 got under the seignory of the Trinci of Foligno until their extinction in 1439.
Passed again under the control of the Church it experienced short intervals of dominion of the Baglioni of Perugia (1530-34 and 1552-67).
© Copyright 2001-2017